Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Yogi Bear and the Great Monsoon of '11

The first Friday of Summer Vacation, we all went on a camping trip to Jelly Stone in Indian River. We went with Grandpa and Grandma Huddas, Uncle Steve, uncle Mike, Aunt Kim, Aunt Becca, Uncle John, Clay and Drew. Uncle John's Nephews Chris and Ben were also with us the first 3 days. On Friday we walked around, looked for Yogi at "Yogi's House" and played at the Playground. On Friday night Aunt Christi and Uncle Wayne got to the campsite. On Saturday all of us went to Fort Michilimackinac to walk around some history. The kids had the most fun at the playground, but also went into the buildings to look at some of the artifacts. We also watched the cannon get fired, and even got to hold and touch a cannon ball. Sunday was Father's Day, and Uncle Mike took Grandpa, Steve, John and I on a Fishing Charter. We all caught a fish, but Mike was the only one to catch a keeper. After the Charter we met up with everyone else at Petoskey State Park where all the kids got to play in the water and look for Petoskey Stones before going out to lunch. After lunch Christi, Wayne, Becca John and his Nephews went home. Clay and Drew stayed with us for the remainder of the week. On Monday we all went on the ferry ride to Mackinac Island. We went for a walk after lunch around the Island and decided to got to Fort Mackinac. The first thing we saw was the rifle fire before checking out all of the buildings and cannons. The kids seemed to enjoy this fort quite a bit, and Seamus eve sat through a movie about the history of the Island. They were all very good, even though Helena had a few instances where she forgot how to listen and just lay down. After the Fort the kids ran around the hill right underneath the fort. After that they were all pretty tuckered out and we went back soon after. We stopped on the way back to get pasties for diner. Mary made the mistake to say we were taking the food "home." All of the kids then said they wanted to got to Yogi. Mary told them she said home on accident. Al three of them asked Mary "Why did you say the wrong word?" for about ten minutes. After dinner, the kids were playing and Seamus was getting whiny. So Grandpa, Steve and Mary took him fishing. Seamus was amazed by the truck driving through the small path to the lake. I was told that Seamus caught three fish by himself. On Monday night, the rain started. Tuesday it rained pretty much all day. We tried to got the beach, but we ended up just going to Cabella's with everyone else before lunch then heading back to the campsite to watch Tangled. It rained for the rest of the night. On Wednesday we went to Cross Village to have lunch at Legs. After lunch we looked out at the water behind the restaurant, we even saw a deer eating some grass right off the side of the road. The time we spend in the car and in the restaurant was one of the only time it did not rain. There was a span of about 45 minutes it was dry, and all of us went fishing and every kid caught a fish (with some help from Mary). It rained the rest of the day. On Thursday, Mary, Grandma, the kids and I went to go walk around Mackinac city, but it rained. We ended up having lunch and shopping at one store. We drove around after the trip to Mackinac because the kids all fell asleep. When we got back, the kids all decided to watch Tangled (again). When the rain finally let up Steve, Melanie (who showed up Wednesday night) Mary and grandpa went fishing. They actually caught some keepers while Grandma, all the children and I went for a walk and to play for a bit. When the fishers got back we cleaned the fish and cooked them up to have with dinner. Unfortunately that night Grandma got sick and Steve and Melanie took her to the Hospital. They were gone until 1:00 in the morning, but she was okay. On Friday the weather was nice, and Becca and John got back at lunchtime. After lunch we left for home. On the way home we stopped at a Rest stop that had a field of Yellow flowers the kids took a few minutes to run through. We stopped at Birch Run to get the kids some shoes and get dinner before we got home. It was a fun trip, even though it rained for most of it, but it was nice to be back at home. In two weeks we do it all again when we head out to Sesame Place.

Drew and Seamus with Yogi

Boo Boo-Katie


Christi, Seamus and I at Fort Michilimackinac

Christi and Katie at Fort Michilimackinac

Helena at at Fort Michilimackinac

Seamus at the Beach

Katie and Helena at the Beach

On the Ferry to Mackinac Island

The Family at the Fort

Katie and Uncle Steve at the fort

Helena and Seamus with the cannons

Katie and Drew with the cannons

Helena's fish

Seamus' fish

Katie's fish

Katie in the flowers

Helena in the flowers

Seamus in the flowers

No comments: